Sunday, March 2, 2014

Coyote hunting--it's a great way to spend a February night outdoors

On Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, a friend and I hunted from 6 p.m to 9 in the field just across the street from the clubhouse, working our way back to field 21 at the furthest spot (Des Plaines Conservation Area).
We set up in three different places and coyotes answered my howl call in every spot. It was the most action I've had in 6 times hunting there. I attribute that to the perfect weather--the previous night was a major winter storm (50+ mph winds), so I figured the coyotes would be out in force due to the weather calming down. I was right.
The lighting was really poor--no moon and high puffy clouds. We could clearly see the stars (including Orion) through breaks in the clouds. But a coyote would've had to come within 20-30 yards of us to see it.
The first spot we set up was about 300 yards west of the road in a cut-out trail in the treeline. Brad set up to watch any approaching from the south, and I set up to watch for any approaching from the north. A lone coyote howled back at us directly west of us in the treeline. Brad and I estimate it must've been only about 50 yards away. After trying to coax it closer for 20 minutes, with no luck, we picked up and moved closer to where we heard the howl.
We set up in another cutout of the treeline (spooking a deer that we at first thought was a coyote), this time looking into field 21. Again, a coyote responded to my howl call within 5 minutes. This one was a lot closer--less than 50 yard, and just behind us--unfortunately downwind from our position. But another coyote joined in the vocalizing about 500 yards to our west--across field 21. At one point, my howl call was joined by the close coyote and the far coyote--it was a trio of howling. Adrenaline was pumping.
The howling stopped, and nothing came closer, so we packed up and set up for a third time, along the same treeline but more to the south--where we heard the closer coyote.
Once again, coyotes answered my howl call, this time back where we had set up the first time. Some howls sounded like laughter--I thought it was coming closer and I raised my gun to my shoulder just in case one came into view. It did not ...
At that point it was 9 p.m., and we decided to pack it in. It seemed we were calling to and pushing around multiple packs of dogs, but all were too wary to come into view. It was thrilling nonetheless.
Night hunting for coyotes in Illinois ends at 12:01 a.m. March 1. Looks like we might have to wait until next year to commune with the Call of the Wild.

Link to map site: 


No comments:

Post a Comment